Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Gentleman

In our day and age, I fear that the Gentleman has become something of an old myth. Letting a lady "go first" has become the motto for Gentleman. I wish we could go back to the day when a Gentleman was considered a status. Only those men who reached that status were called Gentlemen and only them.

Yes, I wish we could go back to the days when not all men could become a Gentleman and men would strive to be honored with such a title. If this were still true, I, myself, would only know a few Gentlemen.

I think a few characteristics of a Gentleman is honesty with the utmost respect, bravery even brave enough to say that he is afraid, and selflessness even if it will bring humility.

Here are some fictional and real Gentlemen that I admire them very much. They have taught and inspired me to have high standards even in a day and age that does not see the Gentleman as an important characteristic.


Humphrey Bogart 


Gregory Peck



Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice


Mr. Knightly from Emma


Gilbert Blythe from Anne of Green Gables

No comments: